Attention LRC Teams:
For the FIRST LEGO League “Senior Solutions” research project, LRC has arraged a series of upcoming trips and expert lectures for our teams to interact with the local seniors and learn from the experts. Advance registration required.
Wednesday, 9/19/12, 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM
Care One Center
68 Passaic Ave., Livingston, NJ 07039
- Care One comprised of both assisted living and nursing home. These seniors are more active and love to play black jack!
- A panel of seniors will be assembled to have a round table session with the LRC teams. They will answer questions that you may have in order to find out more about their lives and challenges. Teams should do a quick intro about themselves and LRC so the seniors get to know what you are working on and why. Come prepared with a list of questions, or any new ideas and things that you want to get some feedbacks on.
Tuesday 9/25/12, 6:15 PM – 7:30 PM
311 South Livingston Ave., Livingston, NJ
- Inglemoor is a nursing home and rehab center, some of these elderly are not as mobile or active as they would like, but they sure would love to see some young faces to energize the place.
- So we are going to have a LEGO Night! Teams can bring their LEGO pieces and robots to play with the seniors while having an informal conversations about their lives, and talk to their caretakers. Just for fun, these seniors might have special request for teams to build them an item with LEGO. Try to engage them to help while using what you got at hand. Observe and interact, make it fun!
156 East Cedar Street, Livingston
- Cedar Street is an independent living facility. These elderly here love to drive around to go shopping or visit friends, they are also mighty busy 4 nights a week playing Bingo!
- 4 seniors have agreed to give an one-on-one interview to our teams by appointment only. One of these ladies is 103-years-old and is the head honcho of the ever popular Bingo nights. If you are interested in speaking to one of these seniors, please arrange through LRC.
Space is limited, first come, first serve. Register at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Friday, 9/21/12, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM
Senior Lecture #1: Memory Fitness and Brain Health
Dr. Cynthia Green, Ph.D.
Hosted by: Montclair Society of Engineers
Union Congregational Church
176 Cooper Avenue, Montclair, NJ
Dr. Green is an acclaimed author and respected lecturer on memory fitness and brain health. To complement Dr. Green’s presentation, there will be a panel of seniors to help the FLL teams with their “Senior Solutions” research. They will share experiences, needs, and solution ideas to other some challenges seniors face (e.g., vision, mobility, hearing, memory, etc.). Coffee and deserts served at 7 PM; presentation starts at 7:30 PM. The event is free and opened to all FLL teams.
Registered at email@example.com
Ms. Joyce is a geriatric care manager whose clients are on average 89 years-old. LRC has invited Ms. Joyce to talk to our teams about the day-to-day challenges of the aging body, and the tools and methods that are currently being used to deal with these challenges.
Registration required at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tuesday, 10/30/12. 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM
Senior Lecture #3, Seniors’ Fun
Ms Liliana Branquinho
LRC Clubhouse, 464 W. Mt. Pleasant Ave., Livingston, NJ
Ms. Branquinho is the Livingston Twp Senior & Adult Enrichment and Special Event Supervisor, she knows how to find fun activities to do for the seniors to keep active and engaged. She will also touch on the subject about recovering from injuries especially bone fractures, which often diminish senior’s mobility and social contacts.
Registration required at email@example.com.